We are looking for a postdoc (2 years) to work on the intersection of complex systems/networks, transport engineering, human mobility, the science of cities, and data science.
We want to bridge the gap between network science and transport engineering, including city planning and public transport network planning; for our earlier joint works, see, e.g.,
- Journal of Transport Geography 2019 (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0966692318304496)
- Scientific Data 2018 (https://www.nature.com/articles/sdata201889),
- Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems 2018 (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0198971517300923).
What we can offer:
- Access to unique data: e.g., details of all trips from Kutsuplus, famous for being the world’s first on-demand public transport service; vehicle-level geocoordinate trajectories for public transport in the Helsinki region; aggregated mobile-phone flow data; and more coming in.
- True multidisciplinarity with real-life application potential: in addition to the two teams from different domains (networks & transport), we interact with on-demand transport companies, the Helsinki Region Transport Authority, etc.
- Access to heavy-duty computational resources (our Triton cluster, etc)
- Access to lots of in-house expertise on networks, data science, and transport studies
- Lively environment: Aalto University with a campus ~10 km from the centre of Helsinki with its own subway station (great public transport connectivity!)
- Decent salary: >3keur/month, which is really quite OK in the Helsinki area (despite taxes + costs of living being a bit higher than in most countries)
- Darkness of winter that is compensated by almost around-the-clock sunlight in the summer!
What we expect:
- Expertise in network science/complex systems/data science
- Some level of expertise in cities, transport, spatial networks, geodata, etc
- PhD in a field relevant to the above
- Skills in Python or willingness to learn them fairly quickly (packages such as gtfspy will help you get started)
- Interest in the topic!
The call is open until 20th of December; the applications will be processed and (Skype) interviews with shortlisted candidates will be conducted in January 2020.
Please email a single combined PDF document containing 1) a cover letter, 2) your CV and publication list, 3) contact details for two references, to email@example.com, with “Mobility postdoc” in the topic.